From The Archive: Beating The Winter Blues (Feb 4th 2015)

3:37 PM

Around this time of year, many of us start to feel the wrath of the dreaded "Winter Blues". With the holiday season over, and the warmth of Spring not quite close enough, it takes a little bit of extra inspiration to help us brave the cold and rainy world around us. To help get you through the next few months of stormy weather, I've put together a list of things I couldn't tackle the cold without.




1.  A good, thick blanket: Anthropologie
There are those days where nothing sounds better than to stay in bed and lounge around where it’s comfortable and warm. This blanket is a thicker knit and the beautiful tassel detailing is a unique update to bring new life to the classic grey color. 





2. Rain boots: UO
Living in the Pacific Northwest, rainboots are a must if you don’t want your feet to be soaked in a downpour. Lately, I’ve been loving Chelsea rainboots- their height is perfect to wear with pants or dresses, and they keep you dry while looking polished and sophisticated. These Jeffrey Campbell for UrbanOutfitters beauties are a great forest green color, and I wear my J Crew boots like they’re going out of style: something they’re not likely to do any time soon. 





3. A good trench coat: UO
Outerwear is, in my opinion, the most important detail in an outfit. While many people find it hard to find the right combination of style and functionality, there are endless options out there to take an outfit to the next level. Simple prints mixed with staple colors are a unique way to update your wardrobe, like this heart patterned number from Urban Outfitters. The neutral tones make matching it with your closet effortless, and the fun print makes a sweet statement, while not taking over your entire look. 





4. A good teapot (& a great cup of tea): Etsy
I’m not past admitting I may have a problem when it comes to collecting teapots. I don’t know what it is about them that makes me fall in love, but I just can’t say no to them. This enamel pot has been calling my name for a good long while. There’s nothing like sitting down with a good cup of tea (Earl Grey for me) and enjoying the rain from a safe, dry distance. If I had this bad boy, I’m not sure I’d ever go outside again.





5. A blanket scarf: sheinside, photo via ohsoglam.com
When I saw Christina from Oh So Glam in this gorgeous piece, I was instantly inspired. Blanket scarves are a perfect and unexpected way to spruce up an outfit without sacrificing any warmth along the way. You can belt them, drape them, tie them- there’s nothing you can’t do! The colors in this are perfect for transitioning from fall to winter, and even into spring. Throw this on while traveling and double its function by using it as a blanket on the plane. 





6. A sturdy tote bag: Free People In Winter, I find that I’m always carrying more things than usual: extra moisturizer, umbrellas, gloves. This gorgeous tote from Free People has plenty of room for all your essentials, and then some. Made of vegan leather, this tote comes in a few different color combinations- and the best part is that it’s reversible! This is my go-to everyday bag, and the texture and shape only get better as you use it. 




7. Art for your walls: Gorman
As a homebody, I’m constantly updating my living space to keep it fresh and engaging. I’ll move furniture, change wall displays and reorganize bookshelves several times a year. In Winter, especially, you’re spending more time inside- what better time to make sure your décor is new and inspiring? This wall hanging from Gorman’s HomeTime collection is one of my favorite pieces. His name is Marcell, his detailing is 8k gold and he’s just the right amount of fancy. 





8. Lille Nord Magazine: lillenord.com This gorgeous magazine from Denmark comes out only twice a year- not nearly often enough for me. From the gorgeous Nordic photography, the styled shoots, and the articles about designers and their children, this is the perfect way to unwind at home and to keep your creativity and imagination enriched, despite the cold.




9. A Good Armchair: Anthropologie
And if you’re going to be immersing yourself in a good read, there's no better way to do so than in a gorgeous chair. This beauty is the perfect color for the season, and the antique features give it a classy and stylish touch without looking dated.





10. Nourishing skin care: Anthropologie, Birchbox
Your skin gets the harshest treatment in Winter, so it’s especially important to take extra care of it this time of year. Royal Apothic’s Cuppa Cuppa firming mask is definitely a splurge, but it works wonders. Not only does it renew my skin, it re-invigorates and nourishes it with all the essential nutrients needed to keep it looking fresh and feeling soft. 





11. A great book: Barnes & Noble, Amazon
As a long time fan of BJ Novak, his new book ‘One More Thing’ was the only thing I wanted for Christmas, and it did not disappoint. A good laugh is something I need year round, but this book gives just a little bit more than humor. It is clever and insightful, but most importantly, so poignant. A book I'll be returning to year after year, regardless of season.

12. Café Breakfast: Broder
Broder is one of my favorite places to visit and eat in Portland. The small Swedish café has just about the best breakfast I’ve ever had. If you like baked eggs, get yourself here stat! The atmosphere makes me feel like I’m still in the comfort of my own home, which, in the dead of winter, is something I could get used to.





Stay warm out there! 
Love always, 
Sam xo





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe