4th of July Party Inspiration

1:56 PM

When I lived here as a kid, the 4th of July was always my favorite holiday. Some of my most vivid childhood memories are of block parties with the neighborhood kids, eating huge slices of watermelon, wagon rides and picking crab apples. There was sidewalk chalk and water gun fights, and walking around the corner to my elementary school and watching the local fireworks show. Every year felt the same, always smelling like hay, sugar and sunscreen.

Now, I still have the same fondness for the way the holiday is celebrated, if nothing else. For me, it always means family. Seeing all my favorite relatives together in one place. There's nothing I love more than all of us being together and enjoying each other's company. Feeling the joy and the love that comes from making a home in other people. For now, the holiday is spent at my Aunt & Uncle's place, but I wanted to throw together a little snippet of what the party would look like if I hosted it. Who knows, maybe you'll get a little inspiration for your own celebrations, too.


Look: 1: Striped Dress via Forever 21 / 2: Table Setting via Kaufmann Mercantile / 3: Soda Fountain Ice Cream Cone via Anthropologie / 4: Striped Bunting via Billie & Bella / 5: Table Setting via Fresh Exchange / 6: Latte Bowl Set via Anthropologie / 7: Table Setting via 100 Layer Cake

For me, if I'm decorating for a party centered around something specific, I like to avoid being overly thematic. I pick a few foundation colors that fit into my concept and build from that palette. Independence Day is usually a very bright, traditional color scheme so I would tone that down more into my style- hues of blue as my base and pops of red and orange to lift it up, without making it too patriotic. A warm Summer evening, some string lights and a few blankets and pillows for chairs (a little easier for an impromptu picnic!) and you've got a dinner party that allows for the most important part of your night to be highlighted: being with each other.


Taste: 1: Honey Mustard Veggie Kabobs via Naturally Ella  / 2: Rose Sangria via Sweet & Savory by Shinee / 3: S'mores Bar via What's Gaby Cooking / 4: Table Setting via @billyjackbrawner3

And when it's Summer, the abundance of fresh produce and backyard cooking opportunities is at its peak. Vegetables, berries & stone fruits are just begging to be grilled on the barbecue, thrown in a fruit salad or pitcher of sangria or wedged between a warm marshmallow and a graham cracker. With a dinner party, you want the ease of fast, fresh cooking without the hassle or the mess of a big elaborate meal. I love the idea of having bars for your guests to make their own meals- crafting their own kabobs to throw on the grill, or putting whatever ingredients they want into their dessert s'more. It makes it super simple for you, as the host, to not get caught up in making sure everybody is well fed and gives you the chance to enjoy a little extra time with those you love.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and if you're not celebrating, enjoy the beautiful weather outside some other way. It looks like we're headed for a beautiful Summer here in Portland. I hope the same for all of you, in whatever season of life you may be in.

Much love,
Sam xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe